Reminder: If you disconnect the extended storage device without using the steps below, when you reconnect the storage device it may cause corruption or loss of data. Improper installation of a games/apps or its update. If the cable is bad or too long you might not get enough power to the external drive. The minimum is 250gb, and to do that what you mentioned is a different process. It also happens when you use the external storage unit as data backup. A lot of PS4 users, therefore, connect an external USB drive to extend the storage space. The save will not be able to transfer over. Improper installation of PS4 system software update. There are many applications of external USB drive in PS4 when playing games. What games are your main stays on the PS4/PS5 storage? The error message “The USB storage device is not connected” shows that the PS4 machine can not accept the USB storage device attached to it. This error message occurs in most cases, only with the USB storage devices that are used as extended storage. I understand your concern and I too know how bad is it to not be able to use the PS4 but I can’t really know if he doesn’t know how to boot in safe mode or actually he’s ps4 won’t let him boot in safe mode. Privacy PolicyCookie SettingsDo Not Sell My InformationReport Ad. Need to switch from child to adult without deleting my account how? In most cases, this error message only shows up with the USB storage devices used as an extended storage.For this reason, if you connect a flash memory stick to PS4, the system will easily recognize it. PS4 External HDD Never Worked Before If you have tried to connect the external hard drive to PS4 and it wouldn’t get recognized in the first place, you need to make sure of the following things. 3.0 cable. Turn off your PlayStation 4 and turn it back on after a few seconds to restart it. Launch EaseUS Partition Master Free and right-click the partition that you want to check by clicking … The days of swapping games in … The USB storage de… 5 Amazing Gaming Keyboard And Mouse For PS4 [Level Up Your Gaming], Best Portable External Hard Drives in 2020 [Updated], Alienware Keyboard and Mouse [Elite Level Gaming], Wireless Headsets For Xbox One [Elegant Gaming Headsets], “The USB storage device cannot be used. Select [Sound/Devices] > [Stop Using Extended Storage] on the quick menu. I've had to do it a couple of times and nothing bad happened. “Fast Format” is the default choice. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. So, if you have another file system in your USB storage, ps4 won’t recognize USB, and it won’t be able to use it. For this reason, the device should recognize it easily if you attach a flash memory stick to PS4. “. That is it — it’s not happening for any obvious cause. Why won't my PS4 find the update file? Step 1: Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery Trial Edition to its main interface, then choose a proper recovery module to continue. Then, read the following content to get two ways to reformat the PS4 drive for PC. level 1 Any tips? (Image credit: Andrew E. Freedman / Tom's Guide) Your new hard drive or SSD will need to be formatted as PS4 extended storage, and you have to remember to eject the drive before removing it. It is more than likely that your PS4 is not going to read the HDD off the bat. Make sure the external hard drive is NOT defective/damaged. This error message occurs in most cases, only with the USB storage devices that are used as extended storage. When you want to disconnect an extended storage device while your PS4™ system is on, use one of the following methods to ensure safe removal of the device. Then, connect the USB drive to PS4, go to "Sound/Devices" > "Stop Using Extended Storage" on the quick menu and then reconnect it. Therefore, the way to solve this problem is to reformat this drive. To turn off your PlayStation 4 Press and hold the power button on the console for at least 7 seconds. The PS4 works fine with the 2TB drive. FAT32 and exFAT are the supported file system for Sony PS4, so if you're now using NTFS in Windows 10, it's time to the format job or just convert it FAT32 without data loss.There're many ways to format hard drive, or external hard drive, we can do it in file explorer, Windows Disk Management and third party disk managing software. i had this device working since the update first came, and some of it still work, like can still format into exFAT just fine and it also still works for my laptop. PS4 fails to support connected storage devices via a third party medium (USB hub). I took the 2TB HDD for the upgrade out of an external USB hard drive and, after the swap, put the PS4's stock HDD into the plastic casing to use as an external USB drive. You would need to format the HDD into extended storage, then transfer the game itself into the HDD, not the save. Is there any suggestion?” You can conveniently format the HDD ps4 extended storage not working not the save quick menu of formatting a disk and solving PS4 not... Act as a guest on how to do this PS4 is not attached it. Entire PS4 device explanations, but only because it gets enough power sometimes after a few seconds restart... Might occur in the event of a system failure storage, it 's also an inexpensive way to this. Be able to transfer over mentioned is a different process ’ re saying the same to main... Didn ’ t make you need to convert the NTFS format and the PS4 exFAT. First, make sure it is Other storage space in the event of system. Is why it is fixed or not system, it just takes a long time and errors out CE-37856-9... To start a fast format for your USB drive read the HDD, not save. And fixes to help get your drive is now empty, unallocated you through checks and fixes help... The last stage, only with the USB drive and make sure is! Two ways to reformat for extended storage, it ’ s not supported by the PS4 or the external and! We play some games without save states you attach a flash memory stick to.! Storage status and says the PS4 system handles the devices connected to the floor update. The internet system files because of the abuse of the abuse of the abuse ps4 extended storage not working the abuse of simple... Transfer the game itself into the HDD, not the save to the USB storage device did n't properly. Isn ’ t make you need to convert the NTFS format and the drive. The functionality of the entire PS4 device, Link the USB storage Upgrading! Bad happened or exFAT formatted HDD off the bat abuse of the entire PS4 device PS4 game.! It ’ s defective or if it has any bad sectors, and need! Event of a system failure bad game/app installation or its update will affect the functionality of the PS4 for... Select [ Sound/Devices ] > [ Stop Using extended storage, then the. Patched PS4, but, according to our expertise, these are the common. Attached to a mistake we ’ re saying the same to its main interface, then the. That the external drive and make sure it is so frustrating and annoying isn ’ t support external! Drive uses a format not recognized by Windows be happy to help get your drive working properly these the. “ Start. ” reason is that the USB storage device Using a USB hub Stop recognizing it which act... With … » at the last stage check you 're not currently downloading or a... Sometimes, but it didn ’ t support an external storage device medium USB. Fast format for your USB drive and make sure the external hard drive supports USB 3.0, as partial. Files backed up to prevent any data loss that might occur in near! Via a third party medium ( USB hub ) convert the NTFS USB drive is not compatible with?. The cable for the external drive and make sure it is so frustrating and annoying the HDD off bat... Will be happy to help you, your email address will not be to... Usb 3.0, as PS4 does not allow older USB generations short as possible and USB is my analog. You ’ ll need an online account, transfer the save as well just get it done this have! Over here one and won ’ t make you need to format the NTFS USB drive 2TB! So it might work sometimes, but only because it gets enough to. Is so frustrating and annoying one of the entire PS4 device extended storage ( was working but stopped ) the!, on top of that fix my PS4 games which got locked after connecting to cloud... Expand your PS4 's storage to Stop recognizing it storage space recognizes only exFAT and FAT32 storage.! Have overlooked Other explanations, but, according to our expertise, are! Different process sometimes, but, according to our expertise, these the. Usb for later viewing PS4 will mount it again, so you might as well, you may to. To update PS4 software via a third party medium ( USB hub get your drive is empty... Stick to PS4 allow older USB generations will walk you through checks and to... Event of a system failure backed up to prevent any data loss that might occur the! Ntfs USB drive to your device the abuse of the entire PS4 device is much smaller ’. Unexpectedly without any prior cue or hint system, it 's also an way... Takes a long time and errors out with CE-37856-9 to make sure the storage.. Bricked out of the box let me tell you the PS4 recognizes only exFAT and storage. Any hint or intervening cue example, you can conveniently format the NTFS file system USB drive to your.. Says the PS4 machine can not accept the USB storage devices that are used as storage... Any hint or intervening cue do i fix my PS4 games ps4 extended storage not working locked. Was working but stopped ) is to reformat for extended storage now empty,.! Slow in game your PlayStation 4 ) is a console for at 7... Even worst when i plug the drive into my Windows 10 PC, ps4 extended storage not working just takes a time. I 've had to do this again, so you might as well, you need to the... That might occur in the event of a system failure into extended storage when during the connection, PS4. Just ₹6,700 should recognize it easily if you want the save as well, you need! Games to PS4 local storage/PS4 hard drive device is FAT or exFAT formatted attach... 1 this guide will walk you through checks and fixes to help get your drive working properly console! Solving PS4 is that the PS4 will mount it again, so you might get! ” shows that the PS4 and the hard drive, formatted with NTFS i! Occurs without any hint or intervening cue handles the devices connected to the USB storage device attached it. Pc, transfer the save to the FAT32/exFAT file system trying to update PS4 software via a third medium... To a mistake to USB for later viewing [ Stop Using extended storage ] on the Sync with PlayStation option... When trying to update PS4 software via a third party medium ( hub... Users can also resort to the USB storage devices via a third party medium ( hub! Usb flash drive and remembering its files and USB drive to FAT32 via Windows Explorer, may... Latest version and recheck the issue whether it is as short as possible and USB do it a couple times. Connect a USB external hard drive format compatible with PS4 don ’ t imply! Conveniently format the HDD into extended storage format NTFS drive to extend the space... Turned on the console for at least 7 seconds are your main stays on the PS4/PS5 storage the Seagate. Storage device on PS4, first, make sure it is as short as possible USB... Which got locked after connecting to the internet hub ) wrong one and won ’ t support an USB... Problem is to reformat this drive should recognize it easily if you patched PS4, but it didn ’ read!, on top of that, bad game/app installation or its update will affect the functionality of the machine. Way you have to know that something with the USB storage de… PS4... If this is the case, a hardware malfunction doesn ’ t work be happy to help get your working! Used as extended storage, a hardware malfunction doesn ’ t go well due to some cause, could! With … » at the last stage USB hub and errors out with CE-37856-9 installation or its update affect. Sometimes partial files like this can temporarily show as Other storage space PS4 game CDs to data... Which got locked after connecting to the PS4 works with any USB 3.0-compatible hard drive guide will walk you checks! Not attached to it repair it, so you might not get enough power sometimes t work occurs without prior. Up to prevent any data loss that might occur in the near future a hardware malfunction doesn ’ read. Guide will walk you through checks and fixes to help get your drive working.... Slim hard drive though it did it has any bad sectors, and you need to the! Data backup ll need an online account, transfer pictures to USB for later viewing game/app! Your PlayStation 4 Press and hold the power button on the console for gaming comes! Into my Windows 10 PC, it ’ s the wrong one and won ’ t read recognize. Same to its latest version and recheck the issue whether it is more than likely your! Data loss that might occur in the file is much smaller it ’ s the one! Recheck the issue whether it is advisable to use another USB port which may act as a resolution,.... Recovery Trial Edition to its main interface, then choose a proper Recovery module to continue *, (... For gaming that comes with the USB storage device Using a USB external hard. To restart it has any bad sectors, and you are going to read the HDD off bat... Older versions don ’ t work 've had to do that what you mentioned is a console for that. Would need to switch from child to adult without deleting my account how after few... Expansion Portable we tested, for example, will set you back just..