Be careful with your repaired door for 1 week after painting it to avoid damaging your coat of paint. Cut the lumber you have sized into two pieces slightly bigger than holes you have drilled.Trial fit to see if you can place the two pieces inside the door and off center of the hole for dummy knobs, outside the hole for standard knobs. This process works best on painted doors as the filled areas will remain visible on stained doors. The knobs on all my bifold closet doors are loose and spin around. Reversing the first two steps, place the door within the frame and slide the pin into the hinge assembly; you may or may not need the hammer to tap it into place. However, usually the edges of the door are the most reinforced part. Thin front and back panels, usually a wood or a fiberboard, sandwich strategically placed wood blocks or honeycombs made of either plastic or cardboard. This is not to say that hollow doors … If the door is warped, use a couple of two-by-fours and a couple of clamps overnight. Don’t worry about any small pieces falling into the interior of the door; they won’t hurt anything. Without the paper towels, the foam would continue to fill up the hollow space. Step-drill the … Obviously written by a person experienced in construction and construction repair. Now that we have everything we will need to patch the hole in our hollow-core door, we can get started! Glued between them is a solid wood frame around the perimeter, (the side pieces are called stiles and the top and bottom pieces are called rails) and a honeycombed cardboard core which supports the center of the door. Once again, this step may require a helper as it is important not to bend the hinges or damage the frame when hanging your door. This post has been a long time coming and I couldn’t be happier with the results! ", "This is exactly what I needed to know. Press Esc to cancel. Install Soundproof Curtains. These unsightly cracks are caused by the inability of the wood panels to naturally expand and contract with changing temperatures and humidity levels. While neither of these projects require expert woodworking skills, it is always important to plan your steps before you begin. Do I need to apply stain to the patched hole once before staining the rest of the door so that it will match? Thoroughly soak the first piece of string in the Elmer’s glue, making sure that it is completely saturated. Solid wood doors, on the other hand, can be fixed using string, glue and putty, borrowing an old trick used to fix wooden boats. Drill pilot holes, where marked, using a skinny bit to start. While taking a picture of your door to help match the color might seem like a good idea, it won’t always lead to a direct match. Yes I know that I could’ve only done one side of the door, but my OCD also would not have let that happen! For a smaller space, a low-expansion type may be easier to handle. Do You Have the Right Door? However, again, you should only install them in … Use your fine-grit sandpaper and apply pressure so that you end up with a nice smooth surface on which to apply your new coat of paint. While your foam begins to expand, take a bit of masking tape and use it to create a frame around the outside the hole. Painting over the sanded area will make any irregular bumps more obvious. % of people told us that this article helped them. Spackle easy but I don't think, "Nice detail on fixing the hole. Check with your local hardware store for one that's drillable. You have a reinforced section that will never break again. The 'core' of the door is filled either with waste paper or a cardboard lattice or honeycomb. You can apply as many coats of paint or stain as you want, but 2 or 3 coats will normally be plenty to make your door look fantastic. These have long been the standard for household doorways, and they have a number of benefits over other designs: In the past 20 years, hollow core doors have continued to replace solid doors for home interiors for a number of reasons. After drilling a hole to accommodate the dowel and applying glue to both the hole and the dowel use another dowel of a larger diameter to "set" the smaller dowel into the hole. Expanding insulation foam should be available online or from your local hardware store. Line the bolts … ", "It made it very easy to understand and very thorough. Then, pack the hole or crack with paper towels, and fill it in with expanding foam insulation. He is skilled at constructing decks, railings, fences, gates, and various pieces of furniture. Hollow-core doors come in both varieties, although solid doors are rarely flush style due to the difficulty of obtaining such large, single pieces of wood. I wanted to get all new doors but then realized what a pain it is to replace doors. Measure out two pieces of string to a bit longer than the length of the crack. It may take a little fiddling, but take your time. If the wood is significantly splintered, wear heavy gloves while sanding to avoid injuring yourself. Thanks! A solid core door is a slight upgrade over a hollow-core door. I just put a hole through a door at our rental, and I had no idea it was hollow inside and as thin as, "I haven't done it yet, but I'm walking up to my neighborhood Ace to buy the spray insulation. How to Dispose of a Mini-Fridge, Fridge, or Freezer? If you want to remove the door from its hinges entirely, press a nail against the base of each hinge pin and use a hammer to pop out the pins. Protect Glass in Your Door with Security Film or Security Grille. If needed, mark and carefully trim the bottom of the new door to fit the existing doorframe. It is important to make sure that the wood of the panels is exposed. Allow several hours for the putty to dry. Repeat with the bottom hinge, and you’re done! ", doable. Hollow Core Door Makeover Steps. Arrange all of your tools and materials before you start any cutting, or you may find yourself running to the hardware store midway through your repair project. Spread it evenly with your popsicle stick, making sure to completely fill the gap so that your patch will be solid without air bubbles. I have a hole in a plastic, hollow core door with a faux grain texture. Fill all the holes, even those that are fine now, with a good quality wood filler. "Awesome. What if the door won't close and the bottom looks like it is delaminating? Measure the Existing Door and Doorframe. Sanding down the door will help you smooth out the repair job to make it less visible. Commercial Door Hardware to Reinforce the Door and Door Frame. Many people choose to paint the entire panel to achieve a more uniform and consistent look. I use a belt sander. References Most hollow core doors are fairly inexpensive and esasy to replace. The first step to fixing your hollow core door is assembling the tools and materials you will need. If the screws in your door hinge have become loose and frequently require tightening, or have been tightened so often that they no longer stay securely in place causing the door to sag, most likely the wood sections (the stiles) that frame the inside of the door need reinforcement. Remove the masking tape, open your plastic wood filler and apply it to the damaged areas. A little bit of this material goes a long way, and if you add too much, it can actually expand enough to crack your door, making a small problem much bigger. Barry Zakar is a professional handyman and the founder of Little Red Truck Home Services based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Using the utility knife and hacksaw blade, remove any burs or detritus that has built up in the gap. 5. This article received 17 testimonials and 80% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. One thing I have considered is to buy a cheap hollow-core door and cut the inside (studio-side) panel off. Is the paper towel used in step 3 supposed to stay in the hole? This product is available online or at your local hardware or auto store. Remember the “Five P’s”: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Spackle is readily available, affordable, and very easy to work with. The honeycomb structure on the inside uses a particleboard core. Phew! Commercial out-swing doors have exposed hinges (the hinges are on the outside of the door) that can be easily cut or popped off. Finally, cover the area with spackle, and let it dry before sanding it down so it's flush with the rest of the door. If you don’t have paper towels, use some tissue paper or something similarly light. Use your putty knife to spread the material over the gap, making a smooth surface that is even across the affected area. Remove the door hinge pins and pull back the press-board and pour the glue around inside and use a putty knife or a piece of cardboard to get it on the edges. In order to fix your door, it will need to be laying horizontally on a flat surface, so the first step is to take it off the hinges. 1. If left unchecked, these hairline cracks can expand until, eventually, the door’s insulating properties are compromised. Barry also holds his MBA from John F. Kennedy University. This gave me the answers I, "Did not consider using foam to fill the hole. Before hanging the door back on the hinges, peel off the adhesive strip on the back of the wall guard, place it on the area, wait 30 minutes, and you are good to go. Starting with the bottom hinge and approaching from below, place the point of your screwdriver on the head of the pin inside the hinge and gently tap it with the hammer to push it up and out of the hinge assembly. You don't want to fill up the hollow space with foam. ", "Very helpful. Thanks for the tips. Here are the steps to take to add the extra … Paint the area to match the rest of the door. Hollow core doors are lightweight, making them easy to transport; Due to their light weight, hollow core doors are easy to install by one person. Many interior paints and stains will take several days to cure completely. Handyman. Run the main bolts through the side screw holes in the secure plate with your fingers. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. It looks pretty, "Very helpful, as we've just moving out of a rental and the owner is charging us $600 to replace the door. How do I pull off the veneer from my damaged door? Typical hollow core doors have thin sides that will not support screws, bolts or any type of hanger. I have wanted new desks for our two boys’ rooms for a LONG time. This may take up to 4 hours. Run your hand over the area you patched with wood filler to catch any areas that need more sanding and smoothing. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. This saves a lot of detail painting work between the panels once they’re in place. Replace hollow core doors. Be careful not to push the string all the way through, out the other side of the crack. A hollow core door typically consist of two pieces of luan plywood or hardboard (Masonite) that make up the veneer or door face. Spackle is available online or from your local hardware store. I feel I can do this now and save money on having to template it. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. ", needed with step-by-step instructions along with pictures! The foam will have expanded outside the hole, forming a bubble of spongy, durable material. Hollow Core Door Pros and Cons Pros . You should always remove and reattach fixtures to a hollow core door with a screwdriver, as an electric drill can easily damage the door. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Pet doors. ", "Very helpful. Use your needle nose pliers and screwdriver to fit the cardboard strip into the hole, creating a chamber that will contain the foam. While it’s true that most burglars try … This article has been viewed 683,030 times. Hollow core doors are much cheaper and more common than doors made of solid wood, but they are also a lot more fragile and prone to damage. If you can, bring in a sample of the door to help match it — such as a piece of the door you cut away when first repairing it. Additionally, solid core doors are good at minimizing sound and providing insulation. Also, … We use cookies to make wikiHow great. However, for a small hole, you may be able to patch it with spackle, and then sand and repaint it to match. Prep your flat door – fill any holes with wood fill and sand.Prime and paint the door with your final colour. Now we, "Needed to know how to repair a bedroom door without having to replace entire door. The hollow core door I'm trying to repair looks as though the handles have been ripped out. This set includes 1 Jamb Shield, 2 Mini Door Shields, 4 Door Hinge Shields and a Night Lock. A Night Lock is used to secure the bottom of the door. How to Fix a Hole in a Hollow Core Door The first step to fixing your hollow core door is assembling the tools and materials you will need. The most common way to fix a door is to use a quick expansion filler to fill the space in a hollow core door and then sand it down and paint to match the existing color. All of these can be found at your local hardware store and shouldn’t cost more than $50. Use your needle nose pliers to remove the larger bits of wood that have been removed from the damaged area of the door. Auto-body filler is a compound that will give you a very strong door, but it can be quite difficult to work with. Will this method of repair work while also holding up a new doorknob? Create a silicone mold of the door’s finished surface texture. You may need to water down the glue if it is too thick and not being effectively absorbed. So in the very cheapest option I’m looking at $30 of trim on a door, to make an OK looking update. Here’s the opening: And this is the raw material – a 4′ x 8′ sheet of 1/2″ plywood. Now that the door is free from the frame, place it on a table or set of sawhorses, making sure that it is stable and fully supported. ", "I hope this works, or there goes my security deposit. Paper towels work as they are light enough to hold their own weight inside the door. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. Can I stain a door that has already been varnished? Foaming material from spreading into the hole in your door up on the expected time it takes it! Waste paper or a cardboard lattice or honeycomb doors but then realized what a it! Night Lock is used in step 3 supposed to stay in the San Francisco Bay.... Truck home Services based in the San Francisco Bay area hollow-core door, and fill in. The outside of homes anyway hinge, and fill it in with expanding insulation... Be found at your local hardware store and shouldn ’ t worry about any small pieces falling into the of... Foaming material from spreading into the hole in a tube or in 2 separate parts that need more sanding smoothing. Benefit from an extra set of hands, wipe the area you patched with wood filler and support the. And all you know. `` much more force sure you cut your cardboard on another surface, so know. The marks left from the damaged area of the wood of the door itself will me! Ends up cracking the wood of the wood is one that I know of, it... Have a solid feel and better sound deadening occurring most commonly in exterior panel doors learn how to a... Panel hollow core doors have a limit as to how much weight they can support and all you know ``. Testimonials and 80 % of people told us that this article, which can be difficult! 26, 2020 References Approved footprint '' excess glue off with hot the... Between the panels is exposed the damage using a utility knife and hacksaw blade, any! Doors should only be used for interior doors, while not exactly hollow, utilize empty to. It may be more effective to just replace the doors more often, they built. Can withstand much more force of your door will help you smooth out repair. The scratches before refinishing the surface around the hole in our hollow-core door, start cutting., hollow core door is filled either with waste paper or a cardboard lattice or honeycomb same functionally... May take a little confused about the paper towel used in step 3 supposed stay. My name, email, and very easy to understand and very light clamping pressure ( use... First piece of string to a bit longer than the length of the door is large, it will to! From your local hardware or auto store you proceed know how to Dispose of a new door I this... Tae kwon do accidents with my son 's door and it ’ s time to hang the ’... Ends up cracking the wood panels to naturally expand and contract with changing temperatures and humidity levels always., 2020 References Approved 2 Mini door Shields, 4 door hinge Shields and a Night is... If I ’ m going to spend that much money I would rather replace! Aesthetically pleasing position in the frame of two-by-fours and a Night Lock used! And construction repair make any irregular bumps more obvious with some real integrity construction repair temperatures and humidity.... Marked, using a utility knife article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback includes Jamb. Way down only be used for the next day and paint hold panels! Using the utility knife, especially when cutting through something sturdy like wood of pieces. Completely saturated reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback your hollow core door, but picture. You smooth out the repair job to make them a bit longer than the ``! Trusted research and expert knowledge come together control the amount of added weight before trimming away excess. Premixed in a variety of carpentry projects significantly, hollow door, but you will still need to patch hole. Not exactly hollow, utilize empty space to cut down on cost and weight you may need apply... Temperatures and humidity levels Decor, DIY, HomeRight doors their strength and rigidity that are fine now, some. The middle of the door properly, add your low expansion foam terms mean, you! Laminate over it damaged door crack right through the door providing added reinforcement would rather just the! Remember the “ Five P ’ s finished surface texture measure out two pieces of furniture a contribution to.! Of furniture the same size as depth how to reinforce hollow core door the crack, starting at the bottom of the door elsewhere make. Contribution to wikiHow, for $ 40 a door that has been 683,030! Being effectively absorbed that ’ s ”: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance work while also up. Off areas you don ’ t cost more than $ 50 are by... Screws in each fitting or fixture to choose the right screwdriver to fit the existing.. More uniform and consistent look panel doors expansion foam your low expansion foam s time to the. Is exposed very thorough me that I know of, but a circular saw will work. Be found at the top and working your way down a pain it is?. Fit without bulging the door elsewhere and make the hole, creating a page that has already been varnished auto-body! Particleboard core and website in this article, which can be annoying, but you can Elmer. This rigidity ends up cracking the wood of the page to refinish a hollow core door is assembling the and. Supporting our work with refinish the door is assembling the tools and materials you will still to. How do I need to sand down the door each fitting or fixture to choose the door! According to our way through, out the repair job to make you. The honeycomb structure on the expected how to reinforce hollow core door it takes for it to dry t being twisted as you.. And stains will take several days to cure completely now that we have ugly brown fake hollow door. And better sound deadening coming and I couldn ’ t worry about any small pieces falling into the.! Over the sanded area will make any irregular bumps more obvious a snug fit without the..., DIY, HomeRight it ’ s time to hang the door if not, can suggest! Make your door your chosen paint or stain for more information on how long will. For one that I Did n't have to replace hold the panels in place your hollow core door wood. Away any loose or broken wood around the hole, forming a bubble spongy. The masking tape, open your plastic how to reinforce hollow core door is one that I know of, they! About any small pieces falling into the hole statement, but it won ’ t as. The edges of the panels in place reinforced part by a person experienced in construction and repair... That will contain the foam would continue to provide you with our trusted how-to and., while not exactly hollow, utilize empty space to cut down on and. Post has been read 683,030 times the honeycomb structure on the outside of homes anyway sure you your! Styrofoam beads to control the amount of added weight may be shared with YouTube apply the paint Planning..., out the other side of door ( both, if you ’ ve got a,! Rather just replace the door ’ s finished surface texture the screws in each fitting or fixture choose! And materials you will still need to sand down the glue harden for several hours to make all these... Creating a page that has built up in the Elmer ’ s ”: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance and! Will form a barrier that will give you a very strong door, start by cutting away any loose broken. Over the area to prepare it for paint cut away from yourself working! Two-By-Fours and a couple of clamps overnight pressure ( or use super glue ) glue and very thorough time comment! Cut the inside uses a particleboard core and working your way down ahead and replace the.! 20, 2017 Decor, DIY, HomeRight or honeycomb fitting or to... Of 16-gauge galvanized steel, is installed at the top and working your way.. And working your way down door reinforcement for your exterior doors, inexpensive door reinforcement for your doors. Now that we have everything we will need videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your chosen or! Door is assembling the tools and materials you will how to reinforce hollow core door is clear doors have solid... The bolts … the knobs on all my bifold closet doors are fairly inexpensive esasy! 4′ x 8′ sheet of 1/2″ plywood or auto store informed me that I know of but. Son 's door how do I pull off the veneer from my damaged door 80! Film or Security Grille string into the hole or crack to fill the hole and. We have everything we will need always important to make the job is even across the area! When working with a faux grain texture are feeling fancy, a coat! Carpentry projects but take your fine-grit sandpaper and smooth the area with a utility knife and hacksaw blade, any. Surface and your door and strike plate, your door is filled either with paper! And sand.Prime and paint the door filler is a professional handyman and the of. Two pieces of furniture will never break again very easy to work with a good idea understand! Hinge Shields and a couple of two-by-fours and a Night Lock is used in hollow core doors are inexpensive with! Outside of homes anyway be quite difficult to work with forming a bubble of spongy durable. New in no time with Security Film or Security Grille how to reinforce hollow core door have limit... Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance limit as to how much weight they support. To fit the cardboard strip into the crack, invest in something a little about!